Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Vendace Roe from Northern Sweden (Kalix Löjrom)

Today I had a small feast with a genuine Swedish delicacy, Caviar from the fish Vendace, Coregonus Albula, from northern Sweden. This roe, Kalix Löjrom (fish name in Swedish: Siklöja), sells for an insane 900SEK/ kg. Good thing I didn't need so much. I took a nicely ripe Hass Avocado, (not very local I know..) and plopped some slightly sour Crème Fraiche as a base and topped off the roe with some Dill, a very popular herb in Swedish cuisine. I've figured out that the common swedish sour cream: Gräddfil just isn't soured as much as Crème Fraiche, its too wimpy for my taste. Some drops of lemon juice is also appropriate. This swedish caviar is really delightful, just slightly salty. Rumous says that this caviar is on its to become PDO protected. It's often served mixed together with Crème Fraiche, chopped red onion and served on toast.

Swedes do like caviars: here are some I saw in the store, the Swedish name of the fish in perenthases. These are all less expensive that the Vendace Roe / Löjrom.
  • Lumpfish caviar (Stenbit) red or black artificially colorized roe
  • Rainbow trout caviar (Regnbåge) - red pinkisk roe
  • King salmon caviar (Kungslax) - huge red roe
  • Capelin caviar (Lodda, sold as 'Ishavsrom') - white roe

I think I also should mention Swedish Kalles Kaviar, a cheap smoked and salted cod roe paste, commonly served as sandwich topping, very popular... for the kids.

No comments: